Click To Expand Menu [ + ]

Select a Department

Motor Vehicles Questions



Q: If I am being improperly billed for a motor vehicle. What should I do?

A: Contact the Assessor's Office at (860) 757-9648, or by fax at (860) 722-6142DO NOT IGNORE YOUR BILL!

 Q: I recently replaced a vehicle, and received a tax bill on the old vehicle. Do I have to pay it?

A: Yes. If you replaced one vehicle with another, and used the same license plates, you must pay on the “old” vehicle in July. In December, you will receive a pro-rated Supplemental motor vehicle tax bill, payable by February 1 for the new vehicle. This bill will reflect a credit for the amount you should have paid in July on the old vehicle. You will receive this credit without having to apply for it. However, you must have paid the entire amount due on the old vehicle in July. If you obtained new license plates for the new vehicle, you must apply for a credit. Contact the Assessors Office at (860) 757-9648 or by fax at (860) 722-6142.


Click to Expand Menu [ + ]

Tax Contact

Tax Collection Office
Address: 550 Main St
Room 106
Hartford, CT 06103
Office: (860) 757-9630
Fax: (860) 722-6085

Office Hours:
Mon - Wed 8:15am - 2:00pm
Thurs 8:15am - 7:00pm
Fri 8:15am - 2:30 pm

HARTFORD CITY HALL ADDRESS: 550 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06103 PHONE: (860)757-9311 HOURS: 8AM - 5PM