1130 Maple Ave.
Hartford, CT 06114
8:00am - 5:00pm
(June 20, 2012) – With temperatures expected to be into the upper 90's today and tomorrow, June 20 and 21, Mayor Pedro E. Segarra has ordered the opening of four cooling centers in the City of Hartford.
The following four of the cooling centers will open at 12:00 Noon, and pursuant to the Mayor's latest ordes, will now close at 8:00PM:
• North End Senior Center, 80 Coventry Street
• South End Wellness Center, 830 Maple Avenue
• Parkville Senior Center, 11 New Park Avenue
• Hispanic Health Council, 175 Main Street
"High temperatures mixed with high humidity create a dangerous combination. Out of concern for residents and visitors over the next few days, I have ordered City officials to coordinate their efforts in opening our cooling centers," said Mayor Pedro E. Segarra. "I encourage everyone to limit outside activities and wear loose fitting clothing to help protect against heat-related injuries."
Members of the Hartford Fire Department's Special Services Unit will be disseminating cold water to citizens at public transportation bus stops throughout Connecticut's Capital City during peak high temperature periods. An air quality alert will also be in effect for the Hartford area due to high levels of ozone in the air.
The Mayor and Fire Chief also reminded residents and visitors to stay hydrated (while avoiding liquids that contain caffeine, alcohol or large amounts of sugar); avoid being out in the sun too long if it's at all possible; have the phone number of your family doctor clearly posted next to your phone (and stored in your cellular phone); check on family or neighbors who may need assistance; and never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle.
Additionally, the Hartford Public Library is available for residents and visitors; below please find the hours of operation for the various branches:
• Main Street: Wednesday and Thursday from 10:00AM to 8:00PM
• All Branches (except Dwight): Wednesday and Thursday from 12:30PM to 5:30PM
• Barbour and Ropkins Branches: Open until 7:30PM on Wednesday
• Albany and Camp Field Branches: Open until 7:30PM on Thursday