Click To Expand Menu [ + ]

Select a Department

2012 Renter's Program to Start Tuesday, May 15th

Health & Human Services to Begin Processing Applications for Elderly/Disabled

(May 14, 2012) --- Mayor Pedro E. Segarra and Department Director Raul Pino announced today

that the Department of Health & Human Services will begin processing Rent Rebate applications for elderly and disabled renters tomorrow, May 15, continuing thru September 14th. Last year the department processed over 5,700 applications and anticipates an increase in eligible applicants this year.

This year designated HHS city staff and a select group of community partners will be completing applications at various community sites. Starting July 9th (through September 14th) applications will be completed by scheduled appointment. To make an appointment, please call Carmen Sanchez at (860)757- 4730 after June 18, 2012, between the hours of 8:30AM – 4:00PM, Monday thru Friday.

In addition, if you are homebound and unable to leave your home without assistance, a family member or friend may act as your agent and have the application completed on your behalf. Due to limited staff, the City of Hartford will not be able to accommodate home visits. If you have questions about the Hartford Renters Rebate application process, please call the Department of Health and Human Services at (860)757- 4730.


1. Applicant must have resided in Connecticut for any one-year period prior to filing an application.

2. You must have been 65 years old by December 31, 2011 or 18 years of age or older and receiving Social Security Disability.

3. You have resided as a renter in Hartford during 2011in any of the followings; apartment, boarding house, hotel/motel

room, nursing homes and/or assisted living centers.

4. Your income in 2011 does not exceed $32,300 if single, or $39,500 if married.


Twelve rent receipts/copies of proof of payment, money orders or a letter from landlord or property manager detailing paid for the entire year of 2011.

Statements from gas, electric and oil companies detailing actual amounts paid in 2011. Call the utilities companies, and request a copy be given to you, or go on-line using the website information highlighted below:

CL&P (electric) 860.947.2000 or, or CNG (gas) 860.727.3034 or Proof of all 2011 income, including Social Security, wages, pension, and bank interest.

Copy of your income tax for 2011, if you filed.

Proof of your disability allowance in 2011 from Social Security, if you are disabled.

HARTFORD CITY HALL ADDRESS: 550 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06103 PHONE: (860)757-9311 HOURS: 8AM - 5PM