Hartford 311 FAQs

Why use Hartford 311

By using Hartford 311, Users get streamlined access to non-emergency City services.


What are the benefits of Hartford 311? 

• One-stop access to non-emergency City services
• Ability to track and monitor progress of service request
• Access to multi-language services


What happens after I call/submit a request to Hartford 311? 

After submission, a case number is assigned, and the request is submitted to the appropriate department for fulfillment. Updates will be provided by the department fulfilling the request. 


How will police, fire or medical emergency calls be handled? 

In the case of police, fire or medical emergencies, the caller will be advised to hang up and call 911. If the individual is calling after hours, an automated message will advise them to call 911 in the case of a police, fire or medical emergency.


Can someone only call from inside the city boundaries? 

Callers can access the call center by dialing 311 if they are within the city’s boundaries. However, callers outside the city can access the same call center by dialing (860) 757-9311.


Is the call a free cell phone call? 

Calls to (860) 757-9311 are normal billable calls.  


Is 311 accessible to callers with limited knowledge of English? 

Yes. Many of our 311 Service Representatives speak Spanish fluently. Also, the City subscribes to a language interpretation service through AT&T Language Line Services.


What happens after I call 311? 

For service requests, callers will be issued a Case Number. The request will be logged into an advanced tracking system that allows the appropriate departments to take ownership and respond appropriately. The system will also allow callers to get updated information on the request.


Will complaints require names? 

Name, address and phone number will be required for some call types to allow for departmental follow-up. 311 will not require contact information unless the department responsible for the service request has indicated a need for it.


Will 311 follow up on a constituent's request? 

If a constituent calls 311, the operators can check the status of their request. However, the task of ensuring that a job is completed will still reside with the appropriate department.  Our team will advocate on behalf of the resident.


Can I still call a department directly if I know the number?

All city calls for service should be made through Hartford 311 for appropriate logging and tracking, allowing for timely service.

Click to Expand Menu [ + ]

Community Engagement Contact

Office of
Community Engagement  
Address: 550 Main St
Room 203
Hartford, CT 06103
Office: (860) 757-9500

Office Hours:
8:00 am -5:00 pm

HARTFORD CITY HALL ADDRESS: 550 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06103 PHONE: (860)757-9311 HOURS: 8AM - 5PM