DDS HOME                   CONTACT US


Housing Code and Rodent Control inspectors enforce State Statutes and Municipal Ordinances that protect the public health, safety and welfare in all three-family or more, and mixed use residential/ commercial structures; as well as one and two-family dwellings that are not occupied by the property owner. The general maintenance of all aspects of a building are enforced for example lighting, ventilation, occupancy density, plumbing fixtures, supply and waste lines, heat and hot water, sanitation, rodent control measures, etc. Our main goal is to obtain compliance and ensure the safety of the public.

Landlords should also view information on the Landlord Gateway page.

To contact the Housing Code Enforcement Supervisor please call Darlene Robertson-Childs at (860) 757-9213, or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

1. Who should we contact if the vacant building next door has tall grass?

Call Licenses and Inspections Housing Code Enforcement unit.

2. I have no heat or hot water.  What should I do?
Register your complaint with Housing Code Enforcement and an inspector will follow-up.

3. Why do I need a Certificate of Apartment Occupancy?
A Certificate of Apartment Occupancy is used to insure compliance with the requirements of the municipal Code before moving in.

4. Who should apply for a Certificate of Apartment Occupancy?
Owners or Agent

5. Do I need screens on my windows?
Only during the months of July 1- October 31.

6. Are the landlords required to put screens in windows?
Only on the top level dwelling units

7. What constitutes a Housing Code Violation?
Any deterioration of the property that could be enforced under City Municipal Code Interior and Exterior as well as public nuisance

8. Who will be held responsible for violations?
The owner, agent or occupant

9. How many people can occupy a room for sleeping purposes?
70 Sq Ft. of floor space for occupancy and 50 Sq. Ft. of floor space for more than one occupant

10. Are bars on windows mandatory?

11. Do I need a license to run a rooming house?

12. What determines a rooming house/ hotel?
A rooming house consists of 3 or more unrelated people.

13. How much time do I have to comply?
The amount of time for code compliance varies based on the type of violation. Generally, 30 days for non-emergency violations. Twenty-Four hours for all emergency violations

14. Can I appeal a notice of violation?
Yes, appeals should be addressed to the Director of Licenses and Inspections.

15. Who is the responsible party required to maintain the exterior grounds?
The owner or agent

16. How often pest extermination should be done?
Depending on the severity of the problem. The extermination should be done every month

17. Can I be taken to housing court for non-compliance?
Yes, if violations remain uncorrected, criminal penalties including substantial fines can be imposed.

18. Who is responsible to determine an emergency situation?
The director of Licenses and Inspections

19. What will be the action taken on emergency situations?
Depending on the nature of the emergency, notice to correct would be sent within 24 hours, or condemnation of the property.

20. Can a cellar be used for habitation?
No cellar space shall be used as a habitable room or dwelling unit.


Housing, Economic Development, Planning & Zoning is located at 250 Constitution Plaza, 4th Floor
   Licenses & Inspections is located at 260 Constitution Plaza, Ground Floor

HARTFORD CITY HALL ADDRESS: 550 Main Street, Hartford, CT 06103 PHONE: (860)757-9311 HOURS: 8AM - 5PM